November 17

Recommendation 12

Hi guys,

Over the last couple of weeks we have been looking at the Blewett report and how it explains the Recommendation 12. On the 25th off November politicians will be voting for clear labeling for palm oil on all products. We had to write a persuasive letter to the politicians to make them vote yes. Here are some facts about palm oil. I was surprised that it is in 50% of products, and in Sumatra and Borneo they are chopping down forest (deforestation) which is badly affecting the Sumatran Orangutans, Tigers and Elephants. I also learnt that instead of labeling palm oil as palm oil it is usually labeled as vegetable oil. I wonder if the politicians vote yes and we label palm oil, how many consumers would buy the products that hided palm oil from them? I predict that the politicians will vote yes because it will allow consumers to know what is in their food and have an choice in what they buy.  Here is my strongest reason why they should vote yes and my favorite paragraph from my letter.

“84% of people want clear labeling of palm oil on all products. Consumers want to know what is in their food.  83% also think that labeling should be mandatory through the law. 90% of New Zealand also want Mandatory labeling”.   

Would you say Yes or No?

palm-oil

Josh

Posted November 17, 2016 by joshuah11 in category Literacy

1 thoughts on “Recommendation 12

1. williamg10

Hi Josh,

It’s Will, I would say yes, palm oil should be labeled correctly so us consumers are aware of what is in all the products on our super market shelves. I wonder why it has always been like this? Who in the world didn’t make correct labeling for palm oil mandatory? One of my strongest reason from my letter is Palm Oil is found in 50% of the products on our supermarket shelves, but consumers don’t know that. They are left in the dark, completely blind of what they are consuming. They don’t know what ingredients companies put in their products and how they are making an impact on themselves and the environment by buying those products.

Great Post,
    Bye!!!!